When hiring a contractor you should always check their credentials. Make sure the contractor you hire is actively licensed with the Construction Contractors Board (CCB).
- Provides financial protection if something goes wrong
- The CCB can help mediate any disputes between you and the contractor
- The contractor carries workers’ compensation to protect workers
- You can see any history of complaints against the contractor
- You can avoid construction scams, subpar workmanship and cheap materials
Always check the references of a contractor you are thinking about hiring. A legitimate contractor will give you a written contract providing details of the job, materials, required permits, cost and estimate of time to completion.
If you suspect a scam or unlicensed contractor, please report them to the CCB here.